Monday, March 2, 2015

Two Weeks Old

The Icelandic Sheepdog puppies are now two weeks old; they opened their eyes a few days ago but I don't think they can see well yet - their eyes are not finished developing I think. They are becoming slightly more active but mostly they are still primarily eating, growing, and sleeping.

Here are some photos of the pups taken today. They do not like to be "alone". If I separate one out to take a photo, it starts crying which gets Totty excited. As soon as the stressed one finds the comfort and security of its littermates, it falls asleep. Click on photos to enlarge them.

Bangsi - the boy with the feather shaped blaze.

Kitty - chocolate with blaze and collar
 
Lulu - black muzzle mask
I think at this age it's hard to take a photo of "just one" puppy
 
Eddie - look at those great double dews!
 
Kippa - her face is actually a bit lighter now.
 
Betty - what a perfect puppy!
 
Notice the color of the eyes in the photo below - like all of the puppies at this age,  those eyes look 'bluish' which is why I suspect that they are unable to see clearly yet. I know they can see because when I put my hands in the whelping box, they come to me.
.
Note the bluish eyes. Which puppy is this?
 
I handle, cuddle, and talk to each one individually several times every day. I know, It's hard work but someone has to do it!
 
On the first day they appeared anxious when I held and talked to them. Now when I call them - yes, it's true - -  when I say, "Here puppy, puppy, puppy!" they come to me. They aren't walking yet - waddling comes closer to describing how they move. They are neither double tracking nor single tracking at this age. Two weeks old is not too early to start getting them used to people. They know my voice and they know my smell. If I put my hands in the whelping box, they wake up and come to it - which kind of surprises me. I'm not feeding them treats so what's the 'reward'? When properly socialized, most dogs like people and come to them willingly.
 
If and/or when it's possible, some people like to visit a kennel to choose their puppy. That's ideal. Of course if the kennel is far away from the new owner - like most Icelandic Sheepdogs breeders are - then the person adopting has to explain what they are looking for in order for the breeder to arrange for the best match possible. In every litter there will be puppies with different temperaments. Some people like the first puppy in the litter that comes to them when called which, they say, indicates that that particular puppy is particularly people oriented and might be easier to train. Others like the quiet one who hangs back because, they say, that one will be more laid back and easy going. Good breeders try to match the puppy with the life style of the person doing the adoption. That's why good breeders ask so many questions of potential new owners by way of emails, phone conversations, questionnaires, etc.
 
Sunrise
 
Over the last couple of days the snow has been sliding off the roof. The temperatures are still below freezing but when the sun shines, the snow does melt a bit and gravity starts to clear off the roof.

No comments: